Monday, April 11, 2011

Evidence-based faith and Lazarus

It was interesting to re-read the account of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead. Obviously it was a significant miracle and John devotes quite a few verses to covering the story. It was only at the end of the narrative that this section caught my attention:
Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?” So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.” When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, “Take off the grave clothes and let him go.” Therefore many of the Jews who had come to visit Mary, and had seen what Jesus did, believed in him.
John 11:40-45 
I think this section fascinating because Jesus seems to have performed the miracle as a demonstration of his divinity with the aim of convincing the watching crowd that his ideas were more than just merely conceptual.

Within our scientific and educated context today, I wonder if Jesus performed this miracle down at local Melbourne morgue what the response would be from the onlookers/media/commentators? Would the evidence of the miracle propel people towards faith in God?

Therefore, it would seem from this account of Lazarus that Christ does not expect blind-faith. He appears to acknowledge the human desire for evidence, much in the same vein that the Psalmist writes:
Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.
Psalm 34:8

No comments:

Post a Comment